Go directly to content

Contact with parents - What to expect?

You have heard in the media about the problems with the childcare benefits. Or perhaps you have already signed up for a reassessment. What can you expect? This overview sets out the steps you will take. These steps include the introduction to your personal case officer, the preliminary decision and the final decision. View the overview here.

  1. Knowledge

 I receive information

I see reports in the media about the problems with childcare benefits and the Allowance Restoration Organisation. I find clear information about the reporting process on the website and in letters from the Allowance Restoration Organisation.

  1. Request

 I contact the Allowance Restoration Organisation

I contact the Allowance Restoration Organisation by phone to ask if they can reassess my situation. I can of course also do this by post or via the website.

The person on the phone asks how I would like to be approached by the Allowance Restoration Organisation. For example, by letter, e-mail, telephone or video call. I tell you what I prefer so that the Allowance Restoration Organisation can take my choice into account.

If I need help urgently I can report this. In that case I will be assisted sooner.

For general questions I can call 0800 - 2 358 358. I can also call this number if I have a complaint.

I receive confirmation of my request

I receive a letter confirming my request. The letter says that I do not have to do anything myself. My personal case officer will contact me when he or she starts with my case.

 I am informed when it's my turn

It may take a while for me to be assigned a personal case officer. If I need help urgently, I can report this via the Service Team Childcare Allowance for Affected Parents.

  1. Start of the procedure

I have an introductory talk with my personal case officer

My personal case officer will call me as soon as the Allowance Restoration Organisation starts assessing my case. We discuss my situation and am listened to. This can be done by phone or video call, or we can make an appointment to meet each other.

If I have not yet given my preference, my personal case officer asks me how I'd prefer to maintain contact. He or she also asks me if I need an interpreter during the meetings. I am told how I can change personal case officers, if I want to. If I use an authorised representative, the personal case officer will contact this person throughout the process.

Possibility of calling in additional support

My personal case officer can call in various organisations if necessary, such as my municipality. These organisations can help me with problems that have arisen because of the childcare benefits. For example problems with debts, work, housing or my family situation.

Working together on restoration

Me and my personal case officer establish my situation. During the process I can indicate that I have additional information or that perhaps another year is missing. We also discuss which arrangement is likely to be the most appropriate for me.

After this interview, my personal case officer ensures that my case is reviewed by an assessment team.

Interim contact

During the assessment process, my personal case officer regularly informs me of the status of my case. This can be done by phone, e-mail or during a meeting. Whatever I prefer. I can also specify how often I want to be contacted. I receive a written summary after each meeting.

 I hear the (preliminary) outcome

My personal case officer tells me the (preliminary) outcome of the assessment. This is done by phone or during an appointment, depending on what I prefer.

I now know if I'm eligible for compensation or not. And if so, for which years I am eligible for that compensation. It is also possible that I am not entitled to compensation. If I am not offered any compensation the Committee of Experts checks whether this decision is correct and has been taken with due care.

If I am entitled to compensation, my personal case officer will discuss with me how much compensation or what concession I will receive and when. My debt may also be reduced: in that case I am not given a refund, but I have to repay a smaller amount.

The content of this step depends on the outcome.

Explanation of the next steps

I am always told about the next steps and how they affect me.

The content of this step depends on the outcome.

I receive a letter containing the preliminary outcome

I receive a letter of confirmation containing my preliminary result. It explains which scheme applies to me. If I receive a payment, I am given an explanation of how that amount breaks down. That amount is transferred to me at this point.

The content of this step depends on the outcome.

I am given a reflection period

I am given a six-week reflection period to carefully consider everything. It is possible that I realise during this period that I have more information after all. This could mean that I receive a larger payment or that I am entitled to a different scheme. I can always discuss this with my personal case officer.

  1. Outcome>

I receive the final decision

I am informed that the assessment of my case is complete. My personal case officer tells me about the next steps that may be taken. This is confirmed in a letter setting out the final decision. This presents the outcome again, stating the final amount to which I am entitled.

Possible payment schedule

I might be left with a debt despite the payment I receive. In that case I can make agreements with the Allowance Restoration Organisation about a personal payment scheme appropriate to my financial situation. I will always have cleared the debt within 2 years.

Actual damages

If I find that I have suffered much more damages than I am being compensated for, I can report this to my personal case officer. He or she then helps me prepare before a committee looks into my case.

Possible objection

If I do not agree with the final decision, I can lodge an objection with the Allowance Restoration Organisation. That Organisation submits an intended rejection decision to the Advisory Committee Regarding Objections.

Concluding interview

I have a final interview with my personal case officer. At this point we discuss how the process went and if I have any remaining questions.