Go directly to content

Help from the municipality (gemeente)

Do you have other kinds of problems besides those related to your benefits? Your municipality may be able to provide help in areas such as work, health or family. It is up to you to decide wether you wish to have help from the municipality. Even if you sought help from the municipality before, the municipality will help you again and explore your possibilities.

The compensation from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration will remain the same regardless of the help the muncipality provides.

Examples of help municipalities provide

Municipalities can provide assistance with the following 5 topics: help in the event of debts, health, work or daytime activities, family, and housing. Please find examples set out below. The help provided may differ depending on the muncipality.

1. Help in the event of debts

  • Help on managing your budget
  • Social loans, emergency loans, or special benefit payments
  • Advice and support

2. Health

  • Assistance with health insurance
  • Contact with healthcare facilities – such as the Mental Healthcare
  • Coaching and counselling
  • Emergency funds

3. Work or daytime activities

  • Offering a work and study programme
  • Re-integration, coaching and counselling

4. Family

  • Parenting support
  • Help from a district team in the field of mental health care, domestic violence or youth support
  • Relationship counselling
  • Coaching & counselling

5. Housing

  • Providing emergency housing or a postal address
  • Providing help when you are unable to pay your rent
  • Help with negotiating with a bank for a mortgag

Exchanging data with municipalities

To be able to help parents more proactively, municipalities have requested information about the identity of the affected parents. Exchanging this type of information is permitted under strict conditions set by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This is why, since 2021, the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration shares the following information about parents with the muncipalities: name, Citizen Service Number (BSN), date of birth, phone number and e-mail address.

You are free to accept or decline help from your municipality. Your decision doesn’t affect your rights. Or our reassessment of your situation.

Your welfare benefits

Are you eligible for compensation? This doesn't affect your welfare benefits. However, you should contact your municipality about the money you receive to avoid possible misunderstandings.

Contact with your municipality

Do you wish to have help from your municipality? Please call your municipality or visit their website. You can also call our Service team and ask for these contact details.

Share this page